Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moonflowers (Ipomoea)

Posted by moonwolf 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 15:50

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to start a few moonflower seeds and was wondering if it is too early for them. I'm going to put them in a 6" pot with seed starting mix. I'm going to put the seeds in a paper towel in a plastic baggie and let them sprout then put the seeds in the pot. Good or bad idea?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moonflowers (Ipomoea)

I've never done them Brad but I did find these previous discussions on how to grow them from seed if that helps?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Moonflowers from seed

o

Thank you, Dave!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I think it is a little early. I started morning glory seeds way too early last year, and they were a tangled mess by the time they could be moved outside!!! I ended up planting them all in a big clump! LOL.

o

I got the idea from an old book called "Bringing The Outdoors In". The author uses them in a hanging basket but
I'll be growing them in a standard pot with a trellis. It takes awhile for the seeds to germinate anyway as I won't plant them until I see signs of true leaves.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I know that soaking them in water for 24 hours before you plant them helps them germinate faster.

o

If you soak them and then nick them with nail clippers, they will sprout in no time. I did that to the morning glories and just put them inside wet coffee filter and baggie and placed them over a warm radiator. They sprouted the next day! Maybe you can try just one and see how fast they germinate for you in the baggie and then you can decide how soon you want to be starting them.

o

Well I placed one seed in a paper towel and a baggie and set it on top of the dryer. I did not nick the seed first. Will check on it's progress daily.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here