Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to growing from seed need education

Posted by bryannc (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 16:06

this is my first attempt at growing from seed. I have 3 kinds of seedlings started. Apple trees, Pear trees and Persimmon trees. My plants are 2 to 3 inches tall now. All have 4 to 6 mini-leaves. My problem is that I am not sure what plants this size are supposed to look like. They stems seem a bit small like they are having trouble holding up the leaves. Also some of stems having starting to turn a faint reddish color. Am i doing something wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to growing from seed need education

Faint reddish color MAY indicate air them is to low....
plants this size will benifit from very light applications of fertilizer & more/better light

o

I have them in the house. We keep the thermastat set on 69 or 70. They are beside a window though. As for the window, I set the blinds so that lots of light comes in but no direct sunlight hits the plants. May add some additional flourescent lighting.

o

Small weak stems is a sign of too little light so the supplemental light will help. You can also transplant them deeply into larger containers.

The coloring is normal for most seedlings and they get over it quickly once transplanted outside. Cooler temps, which can cause the color changes, are better than warmer ones so keep in mind that it may be a very different temp near that window than in the house as a whole.

Since fruit trees such as this have very different needs than the typical Growing from Seed questions you might also want to post your questions over on the Fruits & Orchards forum where they deal with fruit trees for more specific info.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit & Orchards forum

o

Thanks for the advice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here