Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about transplanting seedlings?

Posted by janie58 PA 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 16:08

Hi all,

I am growing shasta daisy seedlings inside under grow lights. They were sown fairly close together in a single somewhat shallow large flat. They are just starting to produce their second set of true leaves, and I intend to transplant them individually into 3-4 inch containers very soon.

My question is, what type of soil do I use in the transplant containers? I started them in MG seed starting mix. Should I use regular MG potting mix for the transplanting?

After hardening them off, and once it's warm enough, I want to be able to just plant the transplanted daisies right into the outside flower bed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about transplanting seedlings?

Any type of good quality potting soil is fine. If you like MG, go with that, though I think I'd stick with the MG starting mix as I believe it's also recommended for use with transplants and young seedlings. The fertilizer in regular MG potting mix might be a big strong for your young seedlings.

o

I agree with sleepy. Stay with something that won't be too strong on your seedlings, at least until they are in early adult stages.

o

I use MG potting soil for my seedlings and they do great. I do not fertilize them until they get in the ground or container in the Spring because MG comes with fertilizer in it already, as you know.

I have not compared it with using a Pro-Mix or other brand so I cannot say it is better or worse, but it works for me.

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here