Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thyme to 'Pot Up' Thyme seedlings????

Posted by ldsluder 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 16:25

Hey folks!!!

I have a tray of common thyme seedlings that are about 3" tall with a good 3-4 pair of leaves on them. They are still very small, but standing, and look great. There are about 3-5 seedlings in each peat pot, not all out of the center, but still on a small peat pot. I would like to put some in the garden, but I think it is still about 2 weeks too soon, and I would also like to grow some in containers.

The growth doesn't appear to be as rapid as it was, and I believe it may be time to give them some more room -

When I repot these seedlings, should I only put 1 seedling in a 4" pot for best growth? I have oregano and marjoram too, similar seedlings, I hope similar situations...

Thanks in advance,
Lisa / NC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thyme to 'Pot Up' Thyme seedlings????

for those grrown in a pot 1 plant is advisable. for outside growth the 3-4 plant ina "hole" isfine.
I would seporate the plant & pote 1 per pot the others should be potted up for groowth in the ground. in each case there will be a delay befor new growth starts.

o
RE: Thyme to 'Pot Up' Thyme seedlings????

Thanks yiorges... I have transplanted them one seedling per pot, they just look so tiny and lonely in their new homes. Almost all of them are still standing up, a few had already fell over in the peat pot with the top leaves still up toward the light...

I am curious on these... should I remove the seed leaves, and plant it down to there? The stem is darker purple on the ones that fell until the bend and green leaves turning back up to the light, just wondering if that could be under the soil?

These guys look so itty bitty all alone in their new pots, but - apparently they are gonna spread and grow to fill it up eventually.. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here