Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Crrookneck Squash Germination Issues

Posted by gardenerme z9/21 inland socal (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 6, 09 at 16:26

OK, I am successfully growing many veggies and flowers from seed, many times germinating in damp paper towel on the kitchen windowsill before planting in the ground.

HOWEVER, no matter what I do, whether winter-sowing, damp paper towel, direct seed, my yellow crookneck squash will not germinate! Even my peppers and tomatoes sitting outside in the cold are germinating no problem! (Well, for cold I'm talking about 35-40 degrees overnite and 60-75 during the day. I am in socal after all!)

Anyway, anybody got any advice? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Crrookneck Squash Germination Issues

I have the best luck with direct sowing - not fast but consistent. But if none of them are working for you is there any chance it is old seed or seed that may have been killed by heat and humidity?

If not, then my next best suggestion would be to try scoring or nicking the seed first - and then try the paper towel in the plastic bag approach. Scoring/nicking large seeds can often speed up germination as it makes it easier for the embryo to push it's way out.

Good luck.

Dave

o

Not sure how well this works on such a large seed... but you may want to try tossing the seeds in a glass of water to see if they are viable.

I believe the rule of thumb is if a seed floats it is non-viable as the hollow chamber causes it to float. Seeds that sink are still dense and (supposedly) viable.

o

I bought Yellow Crookneck squash last year (from Totally Tomatoes) and I tried to start them both in pots and in my heated germinator. They never sprouted. Not in the paper towel, either. I finally contacted the seed company and they sent me another pack which, surprisingly, sprouted just fine. I have no clue what happened to the first pack.
Kris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here