Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saged_gw

Jacaranda seeds

saged
18 years ago

I have been given a hard wooden seed pod. Not sure which species, but probably Jacaranda mimosifolia judging by the few trees I have seen here.

How should I go about planting them?

What after care do they need?

Kind regards

Darren

Comments (6)

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

Hi Darren,
    I germinated about 30 of these. Real simple. I used a "wendy's salad dome" with holes punched top and bottom, filled with vermiculite watered thoroughly, then spread the seeds on top and sprinkled with another 1/4 or 1/6 of an inch vermiculite. Close the lid, and you should have 80+ percent germination within a week in a 70 degree room or area. Good luck! This is a very fast growing species and I love the lacy leaves. I'm going to train mine into bonsai.

• baci
    18 years ago

As the Jacaranda seed pod ripens on the tree the pod will open & split. It will not do so after it is gathered. There are about 50-100 seeds in the pod. Pods should be brown  not green. Even if the pod is not ripe you will probably get some germination.
    When I first planted Jacaranda, I mistakenly planted the pod. The weather broke it down & I later noticed a bunch of sprouts in broken shell.
    You could probably get a set of wire clippers & open the pod by carefully clipping the side.

• saged
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you.

Can they take full sun immediately or need shading for year or so. I am in tropical La Paz, Mexico.

• gabriel305
    14 years ago

Hi; i've never done any of this before.
    Just wanted to know after you do all that, lets say i have an 80% germination rate on the Wendy's salad dome; what am i supposed to do after?
    Like, how many seeds on the dome? is that mean that each seed will become a tree in the future? how do i separate each one? How long after germination to plant it on soil?
    Warmest regards.

• billford_isp_com
    13 years ago

I collected fallen pods, some were not "open". Inside are (as already mentioned)50-100+ seeds. They are translucent tan in color with the 1/4" dia seed itself a very dark brown. Overall they are "flat" with tissue-paper thin "wings" which is the envelope containing the actual seed. The oval, oblong to round envelope may measure about 3/8" to 1/2" and 100 seeds (not the shell) will weigh less than one gram.

I've tried jiffy-pots with commercial potting soil (MiracleGro) inside a humidor (to retain moisture) with bottom heat to about 80F. I've tried scattering on a bed of potting soil with 1/16"-1/8" course desert sand as a cover. So far, in several attempts, no luck germinating.

Any comments or suggestions?

Joshua Tree CA 40 miles north of Palm Springs

BF

• HU-238062608
    last year

About 20 green pods fell off my tree during a storm. Will they dry or should I open them and pland the seend now?