Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do these need stratification?

Posted by madabouteu 8A - central Alabama (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 16:35

I have several types of seeds about which I have been unable to find info on whether they need stratification. Does anyone know if they do?

Coreopsis tinctoria
Nuttallanthus canadensis (used to be Linaria)
Sphaeralcea ambigua
Ipomopsis rubra
Malva zebrina
Finally - Verbena bonairensis - and also, I notice some accounts say this needs light to germinate, others say it needs darkness!

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do these need stratification?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 22:33

Coreopsis tinctoria - may be sown outside in late fall or the following spring without any cold treatment. Cover seed lightly or not at all, some light may be beneficial to germination.

Nuttallanthus canadensis - direct sow in Spring, or in Fall where winters are mild

Ipomopsis rubra - sow @ 70F daytime, 60F at night , germinates in 7-14 days

Malva zebrina - no pretreatment needed. May sow indoors 6-8 weeks before the last frost. Barely cover the seeds

Verbena bonariensis - I haven't sown these for a long time but the seeds are small, I'd surface sow or barely cover. I don't think you would find total light, or complete darkness that important with they way they self sow (wildly), they can't be all that choosey :) Moist chill of 4 weeks should help germination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sphaeralcea ambigua

o

• Posted by tanyuu (5/6 - South IN) (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 15:17

I second the zebrina- these little guys are easy to grow, and one of the few plants that managed to thrive in my early seed-growing noob days.

o

Thanks, guys. Last day of frost jhere is about April 1, so I have just been stratifying those needing 30 days of stratifying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here