Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Too early?

How many of you either think or know you started your seeds too early? I couldn't resist and started most of my seeds a week ago. Looking at the size of the plants I started one month ago (they were as a test since it is my first time) and a last frost date of about May 16 I am starting to get scared I won't have enough room under my lights. Are you in the same boat?

Comments (5)

• wreckitriz
    11 years ago

Yep. :)

I figure ill give away most of my tester plants and start new ones tomorrow.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

I can never resist either, but this year I found a number of annuals that take a long time. They satisfy my growing needs. the Begonias and Lisianthus that I started in Jan are still tiny. The lettuce arugula, cilantro and basil I planted in Jan I am eating now :)

I also started Geraniums, Petunias and bedding Dahlias really early. That was maybe a mistake as they are already in 9 oz cups, and I am hoping they will stay happy for another 2 months.

I do admit to buying 6 more lights.

Peppers and Eggplant were started this weekend. I'll start more annuals and cole crops next week, and pray that this snow melts by mid April.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wreckitriz, I was thinking the same thing with my testers but I am getting attached to them. First flowers showed up yesterday on the Alyssum Carpet of Snow. Anxiously awaiting the Cosmos and Vanilla Marigolds to show some color!!! Fortunately I killed most of my testers or I would be move over run than I am now.

mandolls, I also have to admit to buying (ordered) another 4' 8 tube T5HO light. I wonder if there is a 12 step program for this?

• marklucas
    11 years ago

I can think of using tomatoes and peppers seeds that need to be planted in pots; about 6 weeks before planting them outside. I had planted these in pots and then directly in garden as well. They grow better & faster in the garden as compared to pots.

• blowell
    11 years ago

I think I've always started too early. I don't do vegetables. I count on my brother for those. I do some annuals and mostly perennials. This year I promised myself I would NOT start until March 21. I'm doing a little experiment this year. I ordered plug trays this year rather than using the larger Jiffy starter trays. We use plugs at the University I attend, and I have found the root system to be much more vigerous in the plugs. It will mean transplanting to larger pots rather than putting them right in the ground, but oh well. Also, anything that is a late starter can go into the greenhouse for a few more weeks before going into the beds.