Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sadpork

Bug Spray burnt Pepper seedling LEAF!

Sadpork
11 years ago

Ok there was bugs in the soil i bought, and i decided to Spray it with BUG OFF! bug spray. Then 30 minutes later my Cotyledon leaf wilted and my true leaves are turning yellow and my purple stem had blotches of transparent holes on it.

what can i do to flush out the Bug repellent? and will they survive? the Cotyledon is drying up and the flower seedlings i grown next to my pepper seedlings are dead INSTANTLY! :O never knew the repellent was
that strong.

Comments (9)

• bugbite
    11 years ago

What are the active ingredients in the spray. What is the actual name of the product you used?
    Did you mix the spray or did it come pre-mixed?

• Sadpork
    Original Author
    11 years ago

http://vegandevotee.com/2011/06/20/my-vegan-bug-spray-buzz-away-extreme/

the Orange can of off is what i used, to get rid of those bugs, and EVERY wilted badly, and my true leaves are slightly burned but the seedlings are only 2 weeks old im not sure if its gunna make it.

• Sadpork
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i guess the Active ingriedient is DEET which is weird that its a neurotoxin that affects plants.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Those products appear to be DEET sprays for repelling bugs from people. They are not plant sprays. You need to use a spray designed for plants. Better still, id the bug first and then get a specific remedy, if necessary, although it may be a cultural problem. Always use chemicals as directed - don't just guess at their effects.

• Sadpork
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you think the Peppers will still grow? the plant is still standing straight, while the false leaf has dropped to the ground and some true leaves are green while others are completely yellow.

LOL i thought i was smart for a second thinking that Neuro toxins have no affect on plants but guess not.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

Wash the plant and the soil, then wait and see. In the meantime, start or buy some new plants so you'll have peppers. It' all a learning experience. Have fun.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

Wash the plant and the soil, then wait and see. In the meantime, start or buy some new plants so you'll have peppers. It' all a learning experience. Have fun.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

DEET is a solvent - the instructions warn against spraying on fabric, plastics and varnish. Think what it could do delicate plant tissue.

• bugbite
    11 years ago

I did not want to use pesticides in the garden, but after years of having bugs, particulary tiny, tiny beetles chew up my plants, I finally bought plant spray from Lowes. It did the trick. I tryed the "natural stuff" before, but it seemed rather ineffective. So I got the regular garden stuff. It works.

One thing I learned about garden mistakes, DON'T WORRY ABOUT. You will have plenty of chances to get it right.
    If you have a plant disaster that is breaking your heart, pull the darn thing, quick. Suffer no more! Move on.

Watch those peppers for a few days, then pull quickly and replace them if they don't look good.

You have a lot of months ahead of you to
    grow a new batch.