Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how well do eggplant seedlings transplant?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5, MI (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 17:50

I know that some vegetables don't transplant well at all and grow best directly sown where they're going to be grown. The first thing that comes to mind with this is any type of root veggie.

I'm debating growing eggplant from seed but does it transplant well or should it just be direct sown?
If it's feasible to transplant it, I'll be growing it in a peat pot to avoid transplant shock. The variety I'll be growing is a compact bush type.

Also I don't know the first thing about growing eggplants, because I've never grown them before. Do they vine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how well do eggplant seedlings transplant?

I've never had any difficulty transplanting them. Seedlings for sale are quite common so I'd guess that for most they transplant just fine. I think in your zone transplants would be mandatory though down here I can direct seed them.

Vine or not depends on the variety. I grow Ichiban, Black Beauty, and Rose Bianca and none of them vine. They are just 4' tall sturdy plants about the size of a large pepper plant. They need some support because of the weight of the fruit.

Dave

o

Eggplant transplants okay, as long as the soil is warm enough. I think they are the most cold-sensitive of the potato/tomato/pepper family.

My neighbor made wire mesh circles around her eggplants, then wrapped the mesh with dollar-store (food type) plastic wrap, leaving the tops open. Hers did better than mine.

Sue

o

digdirt...im in zone 7a, and am trying to grow eggplant from seed, indoors, and they dont seem to sprout. i have them on top of the refrigerator but its a new samsung and it doesnt seem to give alot of heat off.

can i simply start the seeds outdoors here? will they make it to fruiting, with the short season?

any advice from anyone is appreciated. thanks.

o

I sold eggplant plants at my farmer's market booth last year and had a few people come back and tell me their plants did well.

Andrea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here