Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I crazy to think I can do this in a seed starter kit?

Posted by mahuchi z6, wash, dc (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 17:53

I bought a Burpee seed starter kit today.
I live in Washington DC -and usually grow:
tomatoes
eggplant
peppers
herbs: basil, cilantro, parsely

I love flowers:
zinnia
cosmos
coleus
dalhia

I have always wanted to start seeds indoors mostly to get a head start and save money. I realize you can "direct sow", but I hate waiting till july to have flowers. And then I get impatient, and end up spending so much money on annuals every year to add to my already existing garden.

Anyway - I have a very sunny kitchen window - it is actually a corner and both sides of the corner have a window - 1 faces south, 1 faces east. The room is the warmest in the house - as we have an electric baseboard heater in this room.

Will I have any success with no other equipment. An avid gardener friend of mine said I would be fine...but I am skeptical. The seed starter kit is the one with the 72 cells and the pellets that expand with water.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I crazy to think I can do this in a seed starter kit?

I too would be skeptical as it is far from the ideal set-up and you'll encounter several issues. But can you grow some plants? Sure.

Lots of FAQs and discussions here you need to browse through before starting - the problems with kits, need for supplemental lighting, heating pads, how to use the cover, soil temps required for germination, why plants get leggy, etc.

"Success" is a relative term. Some are content with what they can produce with what you have. Most are not. But it all depends on how much money and effort you want to put into it.

The more reading you do here the better your chance for success.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

o
RE: Am I crazy to think I can do this in a seed starter kit?

Thanks Dave. I think you just saved me time, money and trouble. Heading out to Home Depot now - to get some florescent lights.
Thanks so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here