Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Riverbank grapes & cold stratification?

Posted by naturevibe 4a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 18:06

Hi,
I'm new to planting anything that involves cold stratification. I have some riverbank grape seeds that have been stored in an airtight container in my refrigerator over the last year. I am assuming that I need to scarify and soak them, but what should I do after that? Do they need to be exposed to cold again following this process?

I also wonder if it may be too late to plant them this year (however, it's still unseasonably cold here, with plenty of snow left).

Many thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Riverbank grapes & cold stratification?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 23:51

".... difficult and slow to start Vitis Riparia plants from seed"

Noxious weed is some areas, prohibited in Ohio. May be injurious to nearby trees and shrubs if not controlled.

It doesn't sound like scarifying would be especially helpful, or soaking either. They do need to be stratified, the chill must be moist to be helpful, dry storage in the refrigerator is only storage - the key is the moisture.

Plants for a future database: "Seed - best sown in a cold frame as soon as it is ripe. Six weeks cold stratification improves the germination rate, and so stored seed is best sown in a cold frame as soon as it is obtained. Germination should take place in the first spring, but sometimes takes another 12 months. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle and grow them on in a cold frame for their first winter. Plant out in early summer."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here