Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keriann_lakegeneva

*BIG* seedling pictures

keriann_lakegeneva
13 years ago

Share your picts too.

I have started peppers, tomatoes, begonias, petunias, onions, toad lily, geraniums, lobelia, parsley, basil, eggplant, verbena, Shasta Daisey, blanket flower, Osteospermum Asti, Lisianthus, Impatiens, coleus and some other goodies.

Sorry pictures are so big!

{{gwi:229315}}

{{gwi:229317}}

{{gwi:229319}}

{{gwi:229321}}

{{gwi:229323}}

{{gwi:229325}}

{{gwi:229327}}

Keriann~

Comments (29)

• mandolls
    13 years ago

Wow - they look great! When did you start those tomatoes? They look ready to go outside now! Are you really going to keep them under lights for another two months?

I started indoor sowing a week ago and only have a few seeds sprouting so far. So I wont bother taking pics yet.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I sowed the maters on 1.29 . I hope they will be in 5 gallon buckets by May 15th! It is another experiment I am doing with flavor relative to age in certian growing conditions. I am hoping tomatoes under lights have a better flavor, but we will see what happens. I have the room so I thought I would try, I may to bring in a Metal Halide lite to get them to bloom, but last year they bloomed under shop lights... who knows...

Thank you for the compliment: ) I love my seedlings!

Keriann~

• gardengal19
    13 years ago

Do you have a greenhouse? The tomatoes look like they need to be transplanted to larger pots. Or if you don't have a greenhouse - you can slow down their growth by keeping them somewhere that is dark - like a basement.

I'm just starting tomatoes this week. But, I can understand your desire to have some tomatoes ASAP

• cetompkins
    13 years ago

HA! Very nice Keriann and you said you thought I would have big plants. Keep up the great work I will post some updated pics of my progress in the next day or so.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just so not all of you think I am nuts : )

I am starting all of my other tomatoes next week.. the regular ones...

Keriann~

• loribee2
    13 years ago

Ooh, love big pictures!

Mine look spindly next to yours, but these are my "regular" ones. Love your experiment. Be sure to let us know how it turns out!

{{gwi:227768}}

{{gwi:227769}}

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yours look great too! they will look bigger in no time

Thanks for sharing!!

Keriann~

• dsb22
    13 years ago

Keriann,
    where do you get your smaller black trays? I have 3"x3" ones but it looks like you have smaller ones than that...in the top pic, it looks like they're two rows with 3 compartments each?

Thanks!
    Deanna

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I get all differnt sizes from plug trays to large solo 4x4 containers from Novesol Enterprises. They are always running deals and they have GREAT customer service.

Link below

Keriann~

Here is a link that might be useful: containers

• luvahydrangea
    13 years ago

Very nice!

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Keriann - In your first picture, at the top, in the middle, what are you growing?

It looks like a little baby gopher looking around, LOL !

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is too funny.. it kind-of does : ) That is a brugmansia I am trying to nurse back to health. Here are a few more that are doing much better. It is another experiment I am doing....I am tying to see what media is the best for rooting them in. So far the perlite is hands down winning!

{{gwi:229330}}

{{gwi:229331}}

• dirtgently
    13 years ago

Keriann: What's the orange goop that the cutting on the right is sitting in?

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow.. that does look really weird. That orange is actually just the orange survey tape I used to label the brugs, perfectly laying on the top of the cup. You can see the same tape on the one in front with words on it.

It looks like weird orange playdough in the picture though. Too funny!

• dsb22
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link!

Deanna

• cetompkins
    13 years ago

Here is the one month update on my progress.
    {{gwi:229332}}From 2011-03-17
    {{gwi:229334}}From 2011-03-17
    {{gwi:229335}}From 2011-03-17
    {{gwi:229336}}From 2011-03-17

• GoGoJuice
    13 years ago

Great info.

A couple of questions. I'm using jiffy pellets this year as its my first try :) How many seeds should I be putting in them. I want to grow annuals, marigold, morning glory, lobelia, etc. For some of the grasses I have sprinkled them on and they look fine. However.. my dusty millers look all bunched up. Perhaps I should ween them out?

Btw.. I'm looking to get some pots from that link provided above. What size would be best for my needs?

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cetompkins: Your seedlings look great! so healthy and green. It has been so nice here 50-60 degrees all week! I cant wait for summer.. : )

GoGoJuice- I would start a new thread so others can see your question. I would also search this forum for your answers in the search box on the bottom of the main page. Lots of people have asked those same questions and there are lots of great answers out there.

Keriann~

• cetompkins
    13 years ago

Keriann, they seem to be doing well this is my third year growing from seed the first year didn't go so well the second the MIL drowned about 1/3rd while we were on vacation but this year I seem to be getting the hang of it, thanks to your posts and others here on GW,
    Thank you.

Our temps have been 50-60 this week also and even hit 70 today and I am ready for summer also, I cannot wait for the first ripe Tomato or Pepper of the season, best wishes to you and all for the season.

Christopher

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Chris, that was nice. I hear ya on 'plant sitters'. When I go out of town, I have a longer list for my plants then I do my dogs... they take a lot of work and it is so sad when they dont make it (the planst, not the dogs! : ) . Thus far I have had only 1 failue and it was death by no water, I forgot about some lisianthus stuck way back on one of my shelves. Oh well, not bad : )

My daffs, tulips and bleeding hearts are coming up.. oh and my ranunculus.. oh Spring.. hurry up warm temps!

Keriann~

• cetompkins
    13 years ago

Well I had what I thought was leaf curl from over watering my tomato seedlings so decided to cut off watering for two days and I think I may have made a mistake (note Brandywine Pink and Yellow and Cherokee Purple) The plants two days later were wilted and drying up, I hope I did not do any serious damage to them, I have since watered them and they are looking much better. Is it normal for these Tomatoes to have leaf curl when there is suficent or insuficent watering?

P.s. I have never grown them from seed before, I have only have hade one Cherokee Purple as a gift last year and never grown the Brandywines.

• cetompkins
    13 years ago

Well I had what I thought was leaf curl from over watering my tomato seedlings so decided to cut off watering for two days and I think I may have made a mistake (note Brandywine Pink and Yellow and Cherokee Purple) The plants two days later were wilted and drying up, I hope I did not do any serious damage to them, I have since watered them and they are looking much better. Is it normal for these Tomatoes to have leaf curl when there is suficent or insuficent watering?

P.s. I have never grown them from seed before, I have only have hade one Cherokee Purple as a gift last year and never grown the Brandywines.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmm I have not heard of leaf curl from water (too much or too little).

Weird.

Mine get curly when they are too cold, but that is about it.

Keriann~

• cetompkins
    13 years ago

Well I did not kill any off but did loose a few leaves here and there, they seem to be recovering well, maybe you can see the leaf curl in the photos and give me any ideas. I do not mean to hyjack the thread Keriann I just figured this was easiest for seeing and replying.
    {{gwi:229337}}Leaf curl 3-25-11

• misss
    13 years ago

cetompkins,

Have you fertilized these? If so I would suggest that you back off. Sometimes nitrogen can cause this in tomatoes. Tomato plants really do not require much food until they are planted out. If you do feel that they need to be fed, I would use a very dilute solution.

I hope that this helps.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No problem Chris.. Hyjack away : )

I would be in the same boat as above... have you fertilized them or did you plant them into fertilized soil?

They dont seem to be all that bad, just a little odd : ) arent we all though!

Keriann~

• cetompkins
    13 years ago

miss and Kerriann yes I have fertilized with 1/4 dose and with every spraying I probably should cut that back, If it is just over fert problem I hope that if I cut back they will be fine.

• cetompkins
    13 years ago

Well, Kerrian and misss I Just looked at my fert specs and WOW! I did not relize what I was using was 30-9-16 (lawn food?), would excessive nitrogen cause leaf curl? I am planning on not adding any fertilizer until they are in ground/pots do you think I will be okay?

Here are a couple pics from today. {{gwi:229338}}3-27-11

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeppers! You found it!

They should be okay. I would give them a good soak to try to 'rinse' out that fertilizer, but I think they will grow out of it.

I am glad you found it! That was stumping me

Keriann~