Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric30

Greenhouse on Wheels

eric30
15 years ago

Here's an idea I tried last year and it worked. Being an apartment dweller I don't have a place for a greenhouse and was looking for a cheap solution. I started storing my seedlings on the dashboard of my truck. On a 40 degree day it would be 70 degrees in the truck. When driving to and from work everyday I would put the plants on the passenger seat and floor so they wouldn't fall down. Then park facing south and up on the dash with them again to get a full day's worth of sun. On warm days I would put them in the back of the truck to help harden them off. At night they would go back up on the dash. I kept a jug of water behind the seat so I could give them a warm drink. When it was time to transplant into larger cups, I dropped the tailgate and it became a work station. My tomato and pepper seedlings spent about a month in the truck and made it through several frosts by doing this. Plus when I stopped for a beer after work I could give a couple plants away to friends. I loved the strange looks I got when doing this; plus the aroma. When I had to hit the brakes while driving I would instinctively put my arm out like I was protecting an infant.

Comments (7)