Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burpee's Red Lightning... Have you seen theses things?!

Posted by heirloomjunkie 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 18:16

Last year I grew Green Zebra tomatoes and was blown away by the beautiful stripes. I thought nothing could beat it until I came across Red Lighting - bright orange tomatoes with deep red streaks. Has anyone grown these?

Hardy? Good producers? Available in stores as opposed to the cataloge??

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burpee's Red Lightning... Have you seen theses things?!

Grew them 2 or 3 years back when they first came out with them. Wasn't at all impressed, sorry. Low production, hard fruit, small, and no significant taste. I'd seriously encourage you to pass on them and when they came up for discussion on the Growing Tomatoes forum the response was pretty much the same.

Not available in stores AFAIK - strictly a catalog offer. JMO

Dave

o

Darn. That's a bummer. I was so impressed with the tase of the green ones too. But maybe that's a good thing. My plot isn't all that big, and I keep saying "ooo, just one more". lol

o

I grew them last year and was also unimpressed - not as interesting a color and moderate production. I don't eat raw tomatoes so I can't comment on the taste (the rest of the family does). I have a few seedlings in the basement, but haven't decided if I'm going to try them again.

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here