Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usmcgrunt_gw

Beginner Help Needed Please

usmcgrunt
12 years ago

I am a complete newb in the gardenig world. I was always the guy who just threw stuff in, Google'd a couple things and went with it.

This year I started started some Brussel Sprouts, Onions, Hot Peppers, Ghost Peppers, and Sweet Peppers from seed. I put them in the standard packs of like 72 individuals. I used potting soil, put a lid on, and set them on a heater.

Now my questions....The Brussel Sprouts started coming up in four days. When do I move them out? I don't want them hitting the lid but I don't want to take the lid off for the other seedlings.

I really have no clue what to do from here not how to transplant them when I have to? I have researched but can't find the exact answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

First thing, the heat and the dome is used for germination only. So as soon as the seed breaks the soil surface - at the first flash of green - you want it out from under the dome and off the heat

This can be a problem if you planted lots of different things under the same dome and/or in the same cell pack as they all have very different germination times. B. sprouts a few days while onions and/or peppers can bee 8-14 days.

You will have to cut the cell packs into pieces to remove the ones that have sprouted and leave the others. If you planted all the same thing in one cell pack and only a few have sprouted remove them anyway. The rest will come along shortly or they never would have germinated anyway.

So the B. sprouts need to come out and off. Then you can let them grow a bit in that cell pack if it is only 1 or 2 plants and transplant them in a few days OR you can transplant them into individual containers now. Your choice.

Have the new containers ready and use ones only slightly larger than the current one. Gently remove the plug from the current cell pack and if more than one plant gently separate them. Poke a hole in the new wet potting mix and slide the plant into that hole. If they are already leggy plant them deeply. Lightly press the soil into place around the plant. That's it.

I'll suggest the FAQs here for much more beginner info and then let us know if you have specific questions, ok?

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

• usmcgrunt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Incredible! Thank you so much for the help. I would have had absolutely no clue about any of that.

When I cut them out, I'm assuming a 3inch pot with some potting soil? I'd like to leave them in the house for a little bit. My frost date is April 15th. I guess leave them with little sun? Thanks and sorry for all the questions but that advice was very helpful.

• gjcore
    12 years ago

The onions and brussel sprouts can be going out soon. You will need to harden them off first. The tender stuff wait until at least your average last frost date. A week or two later is safer. Late frosts do happen.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    12 years ago

Do you have your seedlings under lights? Or just in indirect sun like a window sill? I would highly suggest a light vs window sill.

They can be left under lights for awhile until they can be planted outside. Dave is really knowledgeable, and I agree with what he suggests.

In regards to what size pot you will need to go into, it depends on the size of their roots and what you have room for. 3" would be great but I would put them into 36 cells per flat (or so) and then move them up into 3" if you need to before planting. In my experience, transplanting gradually and a few times produces sturdier and hardier plants then only transplanting once. Once they break the surface and are taken off the heat and dome you can leave them in those packs for a while until they need more room.

Seed planting can be addicting and it is all about trial and error. Hopefully with researching the FAQs and posting here, you will have less errors :)

Keep us posted on how they are doing!

Good luck

Keriann~

• usmcgrunt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haha. This is very addicting! I took the advice of the previous posts and bought a four foot light kit last night. I cut the ones out that started growing and put them under the light. I'm going to try and leave them under there for a little I guess. Have to do some research to see how long to leave each vegetable under there (Brussel, pepper, onion, etc). I made a mistake and my frost date is May 15th.

I left the others in the "green house" kit with the heating pad on. I'm even thinking about adding more since I have extra seed and more available space now.

I also have been utilizing the FAQ and that is helping also. I'm just going to take it step by step with all the advice and hopefully all works out. Thanks again for the help!

• keriann_lakegeneva
    12 years ago

They will need to stay under the lights until you get them outside. If you take them out from under the lights, they will start to stretch out, get leggy and fall over from their weight.

Fun you are starting more! Be careful that you have enough room for mature plants under your lights.. they will get pretty big by the time May comes around. That is my frost date too and I have lots of things started. They are all living happily under my lights and will stay there until May 15th..ish

Have fun!! Ghost peppers! wow.. you like hot hot hot!!

Keriann~

• usmcgrunt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the help. I wanted to post pics of the progress but I'm not sure if I'm allowed or even how to. Everything is coming up great. Fingers crossed...Also just had my first two ghost peppers pop. Everything else is under the T5 light for about 16 hours a day.

My next dilemma, I want to prep my garden this weekend. What do you recommend mixing in compost wise? I have some tough soil with little rocks so I need a complete over haul. Any suggestion on levels, dirt, mixes to put in dirt, etc? Also, should I mix it different where the different vegetables will be located? Thanks!!