Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries

Posted by new2gardening621 none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 18:55

My 3 year old keeps asking to plant strawberries. Last year I bought some st a nursery at the end of June that were starters. I'd like to try seeds but I can't find any thus far and I'm not sure how to get started? I haven't found much info on timing with regards to planting strawberries. I'm completely new to this and need help!

We live in the Pacific NW. Portland, OR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries

Strawberries from seed are not totally straight forward. They have low germination and take a long time to get to fruiting - not ideal for a 3 year old attention span. However, it can be done. You can either get Alpine strawberry seeds or there are some varieties of large fruited strawberries available. Just Google 'strawberries from seed' to find varieties available in the US. The two links show how to sow the seed and how to plant the plants you have grown from seed. Meanwhile, the plants you planted last year should still be alive and growing.

Planting out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8FOVJlDfdw&feature=related

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing strawberries from seed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here