Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would be some nice companion plants for Poppies?

Posted by janie58 5 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 18:57

Hi all,

I am growing oriental poppy seedlings inside which should be ready to harden off in about a month and then planted outside. Anyone have suggestions for companion flowers? I need tall flowers. Thanks :))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would be some nice companion plants for Poppies?

How tall? What color? Full sun? Direct sow or start inside?

o

Hi sleepy33,

I am looking for flowers 2-3 feet tall, pink, purple or white, afternoon sun between 2 and 7 pm. Start inside ready to plant out by end of May. Thanks :))

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 21:29

Sedum, celosia, starflower (pentas lanceolata), gaillardia, zinnias? All are annuals with varieties between 18" and 3 feet, many colors. The sedum, zinnias, and starflowers are loved by butterflies. Not sure if you'd want the gaillardia since most are red and yellow, but they're also loved by butterflies and are a fascinating flower-form.

o

Phlox, Dwarf Hollyhock, Aster, Dahlia, Dianthus, Nicotiana, Gazania, Petunia, Snapdragon, Statice, Stock, Larkspur. Cosmos are nice, too, and can be very easily direct-sown. Have fun!

o

Thanks all for your suggestions. I actually have some dianthus and snapdragons started inside. I also wintered sowed them too. I plan on starting zinnia next month inside. I direct sowed some last year late May and they just didn't do to well for me.

I just love playing in the dirt! :))

o

Larkspur, malva????

I actually had perennial oregano behind this. I don't have pictures of that, but it was soooo pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: Poppy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here