Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poinsettia seed pod

Posted by beetle_2007 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 19:15

About a month back, I pollinated one of the flowers on my plant. I'm at a complete loss, as how to harvest the seed,let alone how to grow. Does anyone have advice on seed pods etc? Thanks soooo much, in advance!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poinsettia seed pod

Allow pod to mature (turn brown & dry....then soak in water for 4 hours then store at 40F for 12 weeks.; then lightly cover the seed soil temp 60-65F & takes 12-18 days to germinate. Takes 7-=11 weeks to be large enough to set out green Ideal growing pH 5.8-6.4 & temp 68F.....

o

Thanks very much George, it sounds pretty involved, but I'll give it a shot.

o

Beetle;
That's realy interesting.
I never seen anyone do that. :)

I've started other poinsettia plants from cuttings though.
Thank you for the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://homes-n-gardens.com/html/house-plants.html

o

How's your seed pod doing Beetle?
Thanks
NC

o

Hi ninecrow! well....I got ONE seed from the whole pod!! It is in the fridge for anouther week, and then I'll plant it. Quite dissapointing, but ya don't know if you don't try lol!!

o

OK One is alright I guess... LOL
What colour was the other Perent or was it a Selfing job?
I'm going to try with one of mine this year
NC

o

How did you pollinate your pointsettia flower and how do you tell when it's ready to be pollinated?

o

I did not even know that they did flower. I bookmarked the page so keep us updated bro.

o

I just yahooed "Poinsettia flowers". I always thought the red flowers were just leaves!

-- learn something new every day....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here