Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

how far above plants should I put light?

I bought a 2 foot grow light. I'm using it in combination with a seedling flat and a heat mat. The instructions that come with using the grow light say place it 2"-4" above the seedlings.

When I called the seed catalog company I ordered the flat from (it's a miniature venting hobby greenhouse essentially) they said that using the grow light in combination with their miniature greenhouse, having the light 2"-4" above the plants/seedlings is too close, and will burn them.

They recommended placing the light 18"-24" above the seedlings. Will placing the grow light this far above the seedlings (and this is them being in the miniature greenhouse) cause them to be leggy or the recommended length of how far above to place them (the 18"-24") okay?

I don't want my plants to get burned by the light being too close, but I don't want them to be too leggy and spindly by placing it too far above them.

I'm just confused, cause I'm getting one recommendation from the seed company where I received the mini greenhouse from, but the instructions that came with the growlight say another thing.

Comment (1)