Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to start 2013 seeds?

Posted by houseplantlover86 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 19:40

Hi,

When is the best time to start seeds this spring season? Mostly I am planting greenry like lettuce, spinach and kale.
I live in Michigan, zone 6 I am pretty sure. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to start 2013 seeds?

April 4th

o

If you are growing lettuce, you can do it mostly in cool weather; as most of the varieties will produce in summer. If you want fresh lettuce from spring through fall; then keep planting new crops about every 3-4 weeks. Every season has its own requirement, so it’s on you to select the varieties, which can adapt to changing temperatures.

o

I have all three of those out in my Z5b garden (northern IN) already. They sprout when they are good and ready, but can take the cold just fine. Even once it is up, all three take a freeze in my garden without trouble. I've had uncovered leaf lettuce go through five hard freezes last spring. The only trick is you cant harvest while it is frozen or it will be mush, but if you let it warm back up under the sun of the midday and harvest after it has defrosted on the plant, it bounces right back (or my varieties do at least).

o

emcd124-you have plants out already? I'm in Danville, IL and I really really want to start earlier than May. Do you have any tips?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here