Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flourescent Grow Light Bulbs

Posted by nymickey (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 19:44

Greetings and Salutations !!!

I am about to start some vegetable seeds indoors so that I can transplant them when it warms up.

I would like to order two (2) 4 ft. fluorescent Grow Light bulbs and in the interest of saving a few $$$$ wanted to know if I could put them into a standard shop light fixture.

I am not sure if grow lights require a special hood and reflector ... OR ... if I can just use a plain old cheap shop light fixture with a home-made pully to raise the light as needed ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flourescent Grow Light Bulbs

You'll get the answers you need in growing under lights forum.

o

nymickey, just plain cheap shop lights with T5, T8, or T12 bulbs (which ever is cheaper), will do just fine for seed starting. I Just use lightweight chain and "S" hooks to adjust mine. It works just fine. The "growing under lights" forum has a lot of good information but can get waaaay too complicated for just the average person wanting to only start seeds indoors. Good luck and have fun!

o

Agree that you don't need to order special grow bulbs for seedlings. Lots of discussions here about that fact. But if you want to use them for some reason then if they will fit will depend on the bulb.

Length isn't the only issue, so is the diameter and the pin distance, and if the ballast in the fixture will be strong enough to trigger them. Some of the chip board ballasts won't. Usually if they are the same diameter of regular shop light bulb then the pins will fit.

Dave

o

If you don't have the bulbs yet, consider using a warm white and a cool white together. You can surely get them in the right size for a shop light, for less money. One is stronger in the blue end of the spectrum, the other stronger in the red end. Together, they give a broader spectrum than either one alone. Grow lights give still more of the spectrum, but I'm not sure your seedlings will care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here