Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keriann_lakegeneva

Fertilizer Question

keriann_lakegeneva
14 years ago

Quick question. I have searched for an answer but cannot seem to find anyÂ.

Is it okay to fertilizer everyday with a weaker solution opposed to once a week with and stronger one?

I am fertilizing petunias, begonias, impatients, dahlia tubers (more experimental), datura, corkscrew vines, verbena and a few dozen moreÂ

Most of them are getting a ¼ diluted solution once a week, but can I give them a 1/10 diluted solution every day to make things easier? Or is it like bakingÂ. 30 mins at 250* is not the same as 15 mins at 500*?

Oh, and what is your favorite fertilizer for the above plants?

OT-but have any of you tried growing ranunculus? I have found some help/tips on the bulb forum but just wanted to cross post it here.

Thanks guys!

Keriann~

Comments (12)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Hi Keriann

I presume this is just fertilizer and you are not watering every day too.

I have never thought of fertilizing every day. It just seems like too much work. I suppose it wouldn't hurt if you are diluting it that much.

My plants get no fertilizer until I transplant and then they get transplanter fertilizer--it has a rooting hormone in it and helps them recover from being transplanted. From then on I only fertilize about every 2 weeks with 1/2 strength 15-30-15 while they are in the greenhouse and full strength just before they are planted outside. However that is just a generalization some plants are greedy feeders and require more. I water well before I fertilize so I don't burn the roots

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Oilpainter

I should have clarified I meant fertilizing every time I water.. not every day.

I use a liquid fertilizer.

And I only fertilize after they are transplanted into their larger containers and show 3-4 sets of true leaves.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I thought there was something a little screwy with someone as knowledgeable as you obviously are watering every day.

My CIL transplanter fertilizer is liquid but I use plant prod water soluable fertilizer later.

I got some free samples of seaweed powder that I intend to try out this year

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Psst...Keriann...look...pics!!

Look how my poor, sad, pathetic little begonias have FINALLY taken off!

{{gwi:229923}}

Those are 5 oz cups, so they're about... 3 inches across at the top?

{{gwi:229924}}

There's hope for them yet!! :)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

They are looking good Sleepy. Any day now they will start rapidly growing. That's the nature of the beast. It takes sooo long to get going and then bam. You will have some beautiful flowers this summer--good going

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks sleepy!

They look great...and look like a 'real' begonia now : )

How old are they?

Keriann~

PS nice Dora cups : )

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

Yes Keriann, the method you are describing is called a "continuous" or "constant" feed program. It is what many professional greenhouse growers do, as it allows for a more stable- even supply of nutrients. Google continuous feed fertilizing programs and I'll bet you will find something helpful.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My lines in the greenhouse are continuous feed but I was just wondering about my seedlings.

I know they should be in the greenhouse but, I wanted to grow seedlings 'by myself' and not have help from staff this year.

Good to know... much easier now!

Keriann~

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Thanks, guys; only you all would understand how excited I am that I was able to get these guys to pull through. :) Oilpainter, they are slow, and I also made some missteps with these guys. They were in the first crop I sowed, and they have been through the ringer. Many of their comrades did not make it. But, the new batch I started, armed with what I'd learned from the first ones, are doing great, and will probably even catch up to these guys by the time I'm ready to plant out.

Keriann, the Dora cups were a last-minute snag at the store. I was at Sam's this weekend, and let me tell ya, next year I am going there at the beginning of the year and buying a case of those wax paper cups. Way more cost effective and I can avoid hectic runs to the store to scrounge for Dora the Explorer cups. :) I sowed these guys in January, so they are darn near 3 months old. But, like I say, the ones I did the 'right' way have done so much better, they should get to this size by the time they are 2 months old, if not sooner.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think they add character : ) you can't buy plants in Dora cups, you are one-of-a-kind! I love them!

What did you do 'wrong' with your first batch?

Keriann~

• triple_b
    14 years ago

Go Diego Go!

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Maybe it's Diego making them grow!

What I did wrong... Well, I started them in containers of a similar depth/size as I would other seeds (margerine tub, or similar). That was too deep, as they are so tiny at first, that maintaining proper moisture on the surface was difficult. Then, some of them were crowded, and I attempted to transplant them too soon. They really pouted for a long time after that. Also, I transplanted them into the dreaded peat pots, which did nothing for my 'dry on top, damp on bottom' issues. So, with the new ones, I sowed them in shallower containers, and left the cover on longer than I normally would to help maintain surface moisture, until they were of a size that could be seen by the naked eye. Also, I sprayed the surface more than I normally would. Since there was less soil, I could actually water a bit more frequently (usually just about daily), but had uniform drying of the soil, so the tiny roots at the top were receiving the benefit of the watering. Also, I haven't transplanted them, even though a few of them are crowding each other.