Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damping Off and Long Germination Time

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 19:47

I haven't been able to find information on this, so I'm now looking in the best place I can. This forum =:)

When growing from seed, isn't damping off more likely to happen when there's a cover over the seed tray? Particularly for the seeds that take a long time to germinate?

If this is the case, would it help to remove that cover for a while on a daily basis, or would that be detrimental to the germination? Can a person use prevention methods like chamomile tea or garlic or cinnamon as soon as seeds are sown, or do I have to wait until they sprout?

I'm really new at this indoor sowing, and always like to know as many details as to how and why things work.

Thanks so much for your help =:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damping Off and Long Germination Time

Wow, good for you! You did your homework.

You are safe though... dampening off occures after they have germinated. You will be safe leaving the cover on 24/7 and then taking it off as soon as they germinate. There are some 'freak' instances, but 99% of the time dampening off attacks moist, hot seedlings (after germination). I hope that helps : )

Keriann~

o

The biggest problem with those seeds that take forever to germinate is the top of the soil will grow an algae and crust, causing seeds that do germinate to fail to emerge. For these problems I sprinkle a grit on top of the soil when sowing those seeds. Parakeet grit seems to easiest to find. Al

o

For those seeds who are stubborn to germinate I keep the soil moist all the time. As a matter of fact I keep all the soil pots moist and it has to be because the Moss absorbs water. I have my seeds in 6" plastic pots with 5 holes on the bottom. After I watered them the water seeped into the tray holding the pots. The next day I was amazed that there were no water in the tray. Looks like the Moss absorbed the water back into the pots. I have beautiful germination even with Egg Plant which is hard to germinate. 100 pots and I have not even lost one. I hope I am not going to jink it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here