Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
costakel

Bird of Paradise From Seed

costakel
11 years ago

Hi! I bought my mother Bird of Paradise seeds in Hawaii about five years ago. She just gave them to me to plant about two months ago. I nicked the outr shells, and one of them finally started growing. What looks like a little green stem stated poking through the soil. It was almost translucent green. Then I started think it was a root because there were no cotyledon sprouting with it. So at that point i dumped out the pot and saw what looked like a huge root of the same look and feel of what was above soil sprouting. They were literally in a straight line (the root below to the root above) with the seed on the side. I didn't know what to do so I put it back in the soil and covered the whole thing up. Well The top root started poking out again! And now it is getting brownish,I don't know what this plant is supposed to look like as it grows, if this thing even is a root or if it is part of the plant, if these flowers have cotyledon or not. And nothing is growing from the part of the seed that is still attatched to what is growing now. Do I get a long planter and plant it ith all the growth laying horizontally in the soil and leave the seed exposed hoping something will grow? I'm so confused! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Comments (2)