Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird of Paradise From Seed

Posted by costakel 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 19:50

Hi! I bought my mother Bird of Paradise seeds in Hawaii about five years ago. She just gave them to me to plant about two months ago. I nicked the outr shells, and one of them finally started growing. What looks like a little green stem stated poking through the soil. It was almost translucent green. Then I started think it was a root because there were no cotyledon sprouting with it. So at that point i dumped out the pot and saw what looked like a huge root of the same look and feel of what was above soil sprouting. They were literally in a straight line (the root below to the root above) with the seed on the side. I didn't know what to do so I put it back in the soil and covered the whole thing up. Well The top root started poking out again! And now it is getting brownish,I don't know what this plant is supposed to look like as it grows, if this thing even is a root or if it is part of the plant, if these flowers have cotyledon or not. And nothing is growing from the part of the seed that is still attatched to what is growing now. Do I get a long planter and plant it ith all the growth laying horizontally in the soil and leave the seed exposed hoping something will grow? I'm so confused! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird of Paradise From Seed

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 0:29

I find just one image of newly germinating seedlings, see photo, top to the back. I don't think turning brown is a good sign...

Here is a link that might be useful: strelitzia reginae seed tray

o
RE: Bird of Paradise From Seed

I think I remember reading that they are 3-5 years to bloom, and in zone 5 you would have to bring them inside and try to winter them over. Seems like a long shot to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here