Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to start annuals

Posted by bernadette_gourder 5 from Newaygo MI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 19:53

Hi! I am not sure when to start my annuals for June and later blooming. Should I plant them inside (I have a big gro-light system so no prob there) and if so when? I want to put them in six inch pots - one to a couple plants per pot. Should I plant them directly in the pot? Or should I plant them in 1020 flats and than transplant later into the pot? Or should I do both, depending on the flower? Lots of questions, I know, but I am hoping you guys and gals will have all the answers!

I'd like to plant the following annuals this year:

Celosia
Baby's Breath
Cosmos
Petunia
Centaurea
Salvia
Datura
Gaillardia
California Poppy
Calendula
Lantana
Cleome
Nicotiana
French Marigold
Pansy
Globe Amaranth
Gloriosa Daisy
Mexican Torch Sunflower
Zinnia
Morning Glory
Moss Rose
Aster Crego
Bunny's Tail Grass
Alyssum

Thank you for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to start annuals

I will tackle a few of them. I would start anything inside in a 1020 flat and then transplant into containers because I would start them in sterile seed starting soil and then replant them in a heartier soil they can grow in.

Petunias- I started my yesterday, but you could wait up to 2 more weeks.
Alyssum- either start indoors in 4/5 weeks or direct sow them where you want them outside or in a container outside, after the danger of frost has past. Same advice for Zinnias as well,

Morning Glory- soak in warm water for 24 hours and then direct sow after the danger of frost has past.

Giallardia- plant as soon as possible to you can get blooms this year.

Pansy- start now and harden the off 2-3 weeks before the danger of frost has past, they can take the cold temps.

Datura- I always start mine inside about 4-6 weeks before my last frost but they get big and stinky inside. YOu can direct sow them or start them 2-3 weeks early inside if you have the room.

Cal. Poppy- direct sow outside 1-2 weeks before your last frost, they can take a frost.

Sunflower- direct sow after your last frost date.

Marigold- start inside 2-3 weeks before your last frost free date

These should all be blooming in June- some maybe a few weeks later and the pansies may be done by then, but you will have lots of blooms in June.

I hope that helps

Keriann~

o

Thank you, Keriann. That does help! I think I will make a schedule and hope I get everything in at the right time. I do have another question. I would like continued bloom from June to Fall. Is it possible to do that with any of the annuals I listed earlier? If so, when should I reseed?

o

Oh yeah.. you will have flowers till Frost! no need to reseed as many bloom with the temps, not just their age.

For some of the ones I could not help you on. you could go to the Park Seeds website and look at how/when to sow them. They are pretty accurate.

your welcome :)

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here