Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_is_a_rose

Seedlings falling over and dying

rose_is_a_rose
18 years ago

What am I doing wrong? This is the first year I have grown from seeds. Mostly everthing is germinating well but then they grown straight up and fall over and die. What am I doing wrong? Also I have some Violas that I had to germinate in the dark. Now they have germinated do I take them out of the dark?

Comments (6)

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

Yes on the violas.

For an answer to your first question you'll have to give us more info on the conditions you are growing the seedlings in. What kind of planting medium, what kind of light, temperature, moisture, etc.

• rose_is_a_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have them in an upstairs bedroom where it is house temp ( I put it under the kitchen light for the pic)(70 degrees) I used potting soil in those little pots
    they grow like this then fall over like the pic under it and shrivel up and die
    I have morning glories, nemophilla (penny black), asylum, and a few others in one of those domed trays of which the columbine are doing the same thing.... the petunias& lavendar seem to be doing alright
    {{gwi:229954}}
    {{gwi:229955}}

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

They are extremely leggy which is probably from being too warm and not receiving enough light. Do you have them in a window, and if so, does it have a south or southwest exposure? I would try re-potting them and covering the stems almost up to the first leaves. You would be best off to get them under some flourescent lights (very close, almost touching) but if you can't do that they should definitely be in a southern window and turned daily so that they don't bend toward the light for a long period of time. Worst case scenario you may need to start over under better growing conditions.

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Damping off caused by fungus.
    Have you ever considered using the Winter Sowing method? Please check out the link below. There is no problem of damping off whatsoever. It's really fun too. There is an enthusiastic group of gardeners who swear by it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing outdoors the easy way.

• rose_is_a_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your responses... pitimpinia.... I have tried winter sowing and loved it!!! In fact I have some winter sowing going right now but I thought I would try some seeds indoors this year since my daughters east facing room is empty as she is at school. ... I put out anything that hasn't yet germinated outside this morning and I think I will keep to that method.... the others that have sprouted I'll just cross my fingers and sow more for outside today

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

Ahh, east is no good.