Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alyssum seedlings failing

Posted by jjstatz29 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 20:00

So this is a new one to me...

Alyssum - like the go to easy to grow plant... My seedlings on it keep failing.
I have 4 trays of alyssum - 3 Aphrodite wine-red and 1 tray of carpet of snow white. One of the Aphrodite trays is performing as expected, the other two and the white tray are germinating, but then the seedlings turn red or brown and die. No indication of dampening off, can't imagine the soil mix is infected because all 10 of my trays of mixed seed are growing in it (everything besides the three trays of alyssum are doing fine - well past cotyledons now).

All 4 of the Alyssum trays are getting the same amount of light, circulation, and water and the seed source is reliable - swallowtail gardens.

Any ideas?

Normal performing alyssum tray
 photo 20140320_190707_zpsb6zb3log.jpg

Defective tray
 photo 20140320_190740_zpsxnn5kfx1.jpg

photo 20140320_190746_zps26hyb1lp.jpg

photo 20140320_190805_zpscewhlced.jpg

Other trays doing fine
 photo 20140320_191023_zpsyqd2yyor.jpg

This post was edited by jjstatz29 on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 20:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alyssum seedlings failing

The one where the seedling is down looks like damp off from too much water to me. I don't know what signs you are referring to. There is often no more sign than seedlings dying off.

I don't know what soil mix you are using but it might be that those trays that are dying have components in the soil that retains too much water.

Put a fan on them and cut back a bit on the water

o

Alyssum is the only thing I have ever sown under lights that succumbed to damp off. A similar situation where some containers did fine and others were completely wiped out - or mostly.

I know thats not helpful, except to let you know that sometimes these things happen even when you are doing every thing right.

o

Think I solved the issues - lights were too close and were over heating soil-less-mix and frying the cotyledons - cool season seedlings like to be cool... -face palm-

o

Update - Turned out this was an old/batch of seed. Supposed to be receiving a replacement soon. Grrr

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here