Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How cold is too cold?

Posted by eugenflorinsgarden 8A (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 20:01

I have outside some cosmos flowers (seedlings) some beans (just sprouted) and some basil, hot peppers, and mint (haven't sprouted yet).

The tempeture tonight will be at 48 (low). Will this severely stunt my plants? Or even kill them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How cold is too cold?

Sprouted ones need to be brought in or covered if in ground.

45 is the minimum recommended for seedlings, especially peppers, and if the air temp is 48 the ground level temp could easily be 45 or less.

Can you cover them with a blanket or such?

Dave

o

Digdirt, hit it. Plants vary.
I don't consider it "stunting". Plants will wait until the right temperature/light cycle to take off, as long as they are not damaged.
Or just search "cosmos cold tolerance" (example) for each of your plants. One site says cosmos will tolerate 35 degrees.
The link below doesn't really pertain, but you can find similar that might. A lot of studies have been produced on the matter.
Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: frost tolerance

o

Most plants are surprisingly hardy at the early stages as long as they are not left too cold for extended amounts of time. If you are worried about the temperature and already planted just cover the little guys with a sheet or some good plastic overnight. The weather should be warming up pretty fast, and if not just blame that darn groundhog!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here