Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I water my seedlings before or after I transplant them?

Posted by janie58 PA 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 20:07

I have a flat of shasta daisy seedlings that I will soon be transplanting to their own larger, individual containers. Should I water the flat before I begin transplanting the seedlings or water them once I've transplanted them into their individual new containers? I plan on letting them continue to grow inside for awhile longer. I want to let them get larger and stronger before it's time to harden them off and move them permantly to the garden. Any suggestions? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I water my seedlings before or after I transplant them?

I pre-moisten my sterile soil before I transplant the seedlings into it and then do not water again until they are dry.

Then I proceed with bottom watering.

Moist soil, not soupy like brownie batter but moist like a damp sponge so when you squeeze it, only a few drops of water run out between your fingers. Or....not to be really gross, but the consistancy of horse/cow/dog poo-poo.

Hopefully you haven't squeezed that : )

Keriann~

o

I find transplanting out of a container to be much easier when the plants are a bit on the dry side - easier to separate roots etc. so like Keriann I make sure the soil in the receiving pot is well moistened first and then move the plant into it.

Dave

o

Thanks Kerriann and Dave. That's what I suspected I should do.
And no, Kerriann, I have never squeezed animal poo-poo and would never want to :) But I knew what you meant lol

o

Sorry... I know it was super gross, but it gives you a reference : )

Keriann~

Happy Gardening : )

o

I have been told that stepping in a warm fresh cow pattie with bare feet is supposed to feel quite extraordinary! Provided you have a sinus cold or plug your nose.

o

whatever your method beforehand, you need to water afterwards to settle the soil around the roots and get the large air gaps out so that the roots are in contact with the soil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here