Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white 'fuzz' on seedlings/soil plugs

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 20:16

I am attempting to start seeds indoors. I use a styrofoam block with 18 holes in it; these holes hold the soil plugs, 1 plug per hole.

I put the blocks in the tray and as per the instructions bottom watered. I wasn't comfortable bottom watering as they would be standing in water for hours on end.

I also put a plastic plant top on because it says on the instructions w/the heat mat I'm using it helps to keep the soil moist and keep the temps warmer, allowing for faster germination.

When I bottom-watered I noticed white 'fuzz' in the holes. When the seeds 'germinated' yesterday there was the same white 'fuzz' on the stalks. They weren't healthy looking either; they didn't pop out of the holes and they were a pale white.

Is this white fuzz a result of over watering/soil being too moist?

I know people recommend bottom-watering but whenever I use this method I get problems like the ones listed above.

They (soil plugs and planting blocks) are currently under the grow lights on the heat mats airing out.

My other question is this; some people recommend taking the top off once the seedlings germinate to avoid too much heat and moisture building up. Should I do this prior to the seeds germinating so the plugs don't get too moist or should this only be done after the seedlings have germinated?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white 'fuzz' on seedlings/soil plugs

Bottom watering doesn't mean your plants should be left standing in water 'for hours on end'. You water and then, if there is still water visible after an hour or so, you pour off the excess. In practice this is seldom necessary as you soon learn to gauge how much water you need to add.

A picture of the 'fuzz' would be really helpful. It's hard to visualize what you mean. Also I don't quite get what you mean by saying your seedlings didn't 'pop out of the holes'. Can you clarify?

o
RE: white 'fuzz' on seedlings/soil plugs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here