Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keriann_lakegeneva

Zinnias started indoors? Yes or No?

keriann_lakegeneva
14 years ago

I know Zinnias are best started outdoors, and mine do very well each year from direct sowing.

But, I would like a longer bloom season.

I am presuming the main reason they do not recommend sowing early indoors is because they do so well directly sowing themÂ.. so my question to my favorite gardeners isÂ.

Is that the only reason?

Because if so, I would prefer sowing them 3-4 weeks before my last frost date indoors, to get a jump on the season and then putting them out.

What do you think?

FYI they will have artificial light, great soil ect ect ect for their life indoors.

Have any of you started them early? Is it worth it?

Thank you in advance : )

Keriann~

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

I don't. We just direct seed. The buggers grow so fast that they take too much re-potting work for me. But in your zone it might be worth a bit of head start. But just a bit. ;)

One exception - I do seed the Profusion series indoors.

Dave

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dave.

I appreciate it as always : )

I think I will start 40 or so indoors and sow the rest outside.

What is the maximum head start would you suggest?

My last frost date is May 10th, so I was going to push it and start April 1st... thoughts?

Keriann~

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

April 15th. Celebrate tax day by starting your zinnias. You know, "1 seed for me and 12 seeds for the IRS, 1 seed for me and 12 seeds for the IRS..." you get the idea. :)

Dave

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Keriann- I sowed Zinnia for my 'wedding flowers' project (a dwarf variety for containers), and those suckers grow FAST! They sprouted overnight, and were two inches tall the day after that. I'd say you can start them whenever you want, as long as you have the time and space to pot them up/move the lights up. But these guys were garden-size within I'd say about 2 weeks, give or take. But they don't seem to resent transplanting at all, so I think it's just a matter of keeping up with them! :)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

All plants have a set blooming time. Started early they will give you early bloom but may peter out at the end of the season.

Why not start some early for early bloom and some outside for later bloom

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

I started some indoors last year, and I just took a look at my notes and I started them on April 13th. If I remember correctly, they were pretty huge by the time i set them out. I think I am going to start mine just two weeks early this year around the 26th of April and see how that goes. They do transplant pretty well, so no worries for you there! What kind are you growing?

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks as always.

I think I will start some April 1st and direct sow some.

I can't wait!

Keriann~

• robynscottdesigns
    14 years ago

I have started indoors- just make sure like someone said, that you need room to keep them indoors as they grow pretty quick! Good luck!

• chinookgardengirl
    14 years ago

Living in an area with such a short season I have no choice but to seed Zinnias inside if I want a decent showing. I have been doing it for years with lots of success.

I use a germination mat (may not be necessary for you) and grow them in lots of light in cooler temperatures (basement) - it prevents them from bolting on me and results in a stockier transplant that is able to handle our chilly Alberta springs.

I don't have too many frost free days, so I start them early and throw them in the greenhouse. In fact, it's been snowing all day...

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ya'all!

I just started 3 different kinds yesterday on my heat mat/germination station. They are cutting varieties: white, purple and lime green.

And I have plenty of lights on stand by, ready for their heads to poke through.

I am excited, my cutting garden is 6 times bigger than last year.... all filled with roses, dahlias, zinnias, and a few other misc experiment plants like 'dreadlocks' and some true blue glads.

Shoud be quite a garden!

Keriann~