Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Poppies in Illinois

Posted by laagarden 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 20:26

Hi,

I direct sowed some poppy seeds today and put the bottom part of a milk jug over them but there's a big hole in the middle. I was thinking I would figure out something to cover the big holes with, but my husband said I don't need to worry about covering them since I don't have germination yet. Is this true?

First Q: Is it okay to direct sow seeds now even if we will still have frost?

Thanks,
laagarden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Poppies in Illinois

As long as the seed is under the ground it can't freeze unless it's a hard frost that freezes the ground to where they are.

Poppies don't freeze easily anyway. I have had poppies reseed themselves and come up the next spring.

All you are doing with your milk bottles is warming the ground and maybe making it too hot if the excess heat has no where to escape to. You would be surprised just how hot it gets under plastic. Be sure to remove the bottles when they sprout or you will have fried poppies

o
RE: White Poppies in Illinois

It may be a little early, but they probably will not germinate right away. I usually wait to direct sow warmer season crops until around the last frost date (May 10th in my area). I am not sure weather or not the frost will have an affect on your specific seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here