Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onion plants from Lowes... okay, I'm cheating a little bit

Posted by heirloomjunkie 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 20:30

I was unable to start yellow onions last fall, and had a very poor germination rate with the walla wallas this spring.

I came across bunches of onions at Lowes. These weren't sets, but rather sprouted bulbs about 6 inches long. It's like they just yanked them out of the ground and sent them off. They had a ton of roots, and were not in any kind of water. So I have two questions:

1. Until I can plant them outside, how do I store them? In the basement? Under lights? Do I water them, or leave them to go dormant?

2. Seeing as they're off to a good start, can I expect full sized onions by late summer/ fall?

I was so excited I found them.

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onion plants from Lowes... okay, I'm cheating a little bit

I would plant them in individual containers or one big one but separated by a bit of space, and put them under lights until they can go outside.

o

They are available here and of course may be planted in the garden immediately. With our long growing season and enough sun and water they will make good sized onions by the fall. In your location you will have to plant them twice as oilpainter has suggested. Al

o

I have heard that I can plant them outside right now, I think. Will they be able to withstand a frost? I just don't have the room to transplant that many onions.

Kim

o

Do you know the type - long-day or short-day? Hopefully they would only sell long day types in your area but no guarantees. Still long-day types is what you should be growing. If you are getting 10-12 hours of daylight by now then they can be planted.

Dixondale Farms (noted plant supplier) recommends that if they can be planted within 2 weeks of arrival/purchase you don't do anything to them except keep them cool and dry. These are dormant as is so will do fine as it. Down here they went to the garden a month ago as soon as we hit 10 hours of daylight because we have to grow short-day varieties.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Onion Guide

o

Yeah, we are definately getting 10 to 12 hours of daylight here. So that's good.

Oh! But I almost forgot. Do I need to harden these off? And if so, for how long? It's going to be cold the next day or so, and then it is supposed to jump back up to the high 50s low 60s. I had planned on planting them on Tuesday, but I may need to wait if they need time to adjust.

Thanks so much! Kim

o

No they are dormant plants. Dormant plants don't need to be hardened off.

Dave

o

Sweet! Because I am really looking forward to it. :)

Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here