Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heirloomjunkie_gw

Onion haircuts...

heirloomjunkie
14 years ago

I have been keeping my onion seedlings cut to three inches. They have their second set of leaves now, and some are developing a third.

Should I continue to keep them cut, or let them grow as they please? What is the purpose of trimming them in the first place??

Kim

Comments (7)

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

You're the one with the scissors, you tell us ;-)

{{gwi:230245}}

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

What is the purpose of trimming them in the first place??

It triggers further root development and stimulates new, additional leaf growth. The usual recommendation is to keep them trimmed until planted in the garden and then let them go.

Dave

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jonhughes, nice onions! Mine do seem to be getting thicker, so I guess cutting them is a good idea. Plus, I like getting a little snip happy every now and then. :)

About planting in the garden... when is a good time to set these out? I know they are very frost hardy, but they are so delicate, and there will be fresh coffee grounds and leaves tilled in as of next week or so. Should I wait to plant them until later when the tomatoes, peppers, etc go in?

Kim

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I know it is not the "party line" but as a rebel by nature, I try to plant onions 4 times a year,so they are always going,the fall plantings are best (biggest bulbs at harvest) but if you control the sun,shade,water yada yada...you can be planting at all times,I am planting another two hundred on Tuesday....and if the past is any predictor, they will do wonderfully also ;-)

Garlic

{{gwi:46078}}

Onion Starts

{{gwi:230247}}

Cauliflower

{{gwi:230249}}

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice! I remember my first attempt with garlic. I just thought that if you popped the clove in around the first of June, that by the end of summer, you'd have a full bulb. Wrong. I had the tiniest, most pathetic looking garlic ever! But since I forgot to stagger the timing on the onions, I had way too many to compensate.

BTW, what DOES one do with 200 onions??

Kim

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I like vegetables, but I am more of a carnivore (Rib-Eye) Yummm

I saw a need in our community for Fresh Vegetables all year round for the Homeless or Needy and I have a 1/8 acre and figured I should do what I can to lend a helping hand,so I grow year round as many things as I can, There is nothing like walking into the foodbank (especially when it is barren) and handing over a hundred pounds of fresh vegetables... those are some real servant hearted people there... Anyway...It is a total blessing ...I couldn't be happier to be a part of someone getting food in their stomach ;-)

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! That is so cool!

I often look at my parents' acre or so of flat, boring land and think of what could be. I hope to have some land of my own one day. It's sad how few people realize what a benefit to everyone gardening is...

Kim