Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Abutilon

Posted by judiohz5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 20:46

Have I missed something important here? I have tried saved seeds and bought seeds to no avail. Here's what I have tried - soaked 24 hrs, then sown in ProMix - also others in a baggie with moist vermiculite. First batch sown beginning of Feb. and second batch beginning of Mar. and nothing yet.

I am doing this in a warm basement, on a rack, with shop lights. Most all of the other flats have germinated fine so what is the secret to getting these to germinate?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Abutilon

I'm currently growing abuliton.
I purchased seeds from Pinetree. 5 seeds for $1.95.
I sowed the seeds without soaking on January 14th in Jiffy Mix, just barely covering the seeds.I covered the container with a plastic bag and placed it in my fairly warm kitchen. I didn't use any bottom heat or supplemental lighting.
Four seeds sprouted within one week. I lost one seedling due to allowing the potting mix to dry out excessively.
I am now growing my three remaining seedling in yogurt cups in a west window that has light reducing glass. The seedlings are about 3" high and have 3-4 sets of true leaves. I'll probably start growing the plants under my shop lights soon and hopefully that will accelerate their growth.
Most abutilon that is sold through cataloges are hybrids so I don't know if that might of effected the viability of your collected seed.

o
RE: Question about Abutilon

slackermom, thanks for the answer. So it can be done, just not by me I guess! I have sown at least 50 seeds that I saved and the 10 that I purchased from Parks. Mine are in a flat with ProMix under a plastic dome. Doesn't sound much different than what you did. Guess I'll just have to try another batch. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here