Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evan610

Grow Light Survey

evan610
11 years ago

Hi, I'm Evan. I am posting this survey because this year we have to do an engineering project, in which we build something to fix a problem in our life. Mine was needing a grow light set up. you are supposed to research similar products and then write a survey about it.

1. Have you ever used or currently use a commercially available Grow Light?

2. Would you say you are or were happy with the product on its:
a. Reliability
b. Ease of Use
c. Watt usage

3. What do you consider to be the best feature of this product?

4. What do you consider to be the worst feature of this product?

5. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, where do you consider the value you got from this product?

6. What would you change or add about the product?

7. Do you consider this product to be your best choice? Why?

Comments (4)

• claydirt
    11 years ago

1) yes, at this very minute

2) a yes, b) so-so, c) yes

3) nothing outstanding, it was low cost (good) so it didn't have many features (bad).

4) I did not get a "system", so adjusting the distance between the plants and the light is a balancing act (insert supports under plant trays to raise them up).

5) at 18 hours/day seedlings do not get leggy. on frequent cloudy days this time of year, seedlings get enough light to get a jump on the season.

6 & 7) no. plants reflect green light and absorb light above and below that frequency in the light spectrum. my grow light is blueish. so the red/orange end of the spectrum seems to be lacking. this is why is use a "GE kitchen and bath" light fixture in addition to the blueish grow light fixture. both ends of the light spectrum get covered. when you think about it, a grow light with a built in timer might be a nice feature. since I have multiple lights to cover the spectrum, I provided a timer with multiple outlets. they all turn on and off at once. FYI, I believe new plants need air circulation to prevent damping off. So (in my opinion) one needs a fan as well. it is on a different timer schedule than the lights.

I hope you come up with a new and unique design!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

No I don't use Grow Lights. I use T5 and T8 fluorescent bulbs in 4 foot fixtures for growing seedlings.

The color spectrum in Grow Lights is only needed for blooming/flowering plants so isn't necessary for growing seedling transplants.

Dave

• evan610
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! I was surprised to get so many responses in such a short time. My science teacher shall be quite pleased.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

I have a grow light set-up but I don't use "grow lights." They're expensive. I use full spectrum fluorescent light tubes. I am fully satisfied with them when they are 1" away from the seedlings.

The light set-up I have is from Park Seed Company. It has two levels and 4 trays on each level, with a shop light on each level.This wasn't enough light so I added two more shop light fixtures, one on each level.

Best feature is adjustable chains on the lights which I can lower and raise. I am very satisfied with this set-up and have been using it for over 20 years.