Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Watermelon and Okra

Posted by beekeeper961 SC zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 20:51

Hi everyone I sowed my seeds about 5 days ago for okra and watermelon. Once they started emerging they looked fine until I came home that afternoon my watermelon plants are extremely leggy I have had this problem last year and I have read about it and have kept the light extremely close when I planted the seeds then once they started emerging I move the light about 2 inches above them. This is so frustrating the okra is not as leggy but the watermelon are extremely. So decided to move the plants to the window where there still getting leggier. I was thinking about putting them outside but they will burn and I cant constantly monitor them. I planted some more and I'm waiting but I kept them on a heat pad on low heat could this be the problem? So if anyone has any suggestion I will appreciate it. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Watermelon and Okra

the heating pad should be removed after germination, thats why they are leggy.

Depending on how much and how intense the sun is, the window sill could make them leggier.

I would direct sow watemelon

Keri~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here