Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry Blossom Tree Seed Germination

Posted by caldiar (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 21:01

I have some sakura seeds that had instructions to keep them in a really cold (inside of fridge) spot for 2 months then to pull them out and they would take about 1-3 months to germinate.

I was wondering if I'd be safe with pulling them out of the fridge they've been in after only a month. I don't mind waiting another month but if I can get a plant sooner then I would like to.

Thanks guys :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry Blossom Tree Seed Germination

some genus (seed) require a cold period to mature & be able to germinate. in your case the 2 months was a period determined by trial & error to work.... IF you only stay 1 month in ref. some of the seed MAY germinate but most will not & have to be put back in the ref for another month. resulting in time lost not gained.....

o

I have had success germinating japanese maple trees and would like to try germinating a japanese cherry blossom seed but I do not have one on my property. Does anyone know when japanese cherry blossom seeds are ready to be collected? Thank you.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 20:56

When the fruit is ripe (turning purple/black), the seeds are ripe. Usually approx mid-summer.

o

spynn001 - be aware that many Japanese cherries do not produce fruit because the flowers are double. This means the reproductive parts are missing, replaced by more petals. Also most named flowering cherries are reproduced by grafting, not seed. So if you find a tree with cherries and get them to grow you are still not guaranteed a clone of the parent tree. But the experiment would be interesting if you are patient enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here