Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
onion seedlings: trimming height and transplanting Qs

Posted by egganddart49 ny 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 08 at 21:15

I'm growing onions from seed and they're under lights right now. I started them 3 or 4 weeks ago and they're about 3 to 4" tall. I've read that you can cut them down to about 3" before planting, but I'm wondering if I can trim them now. They're almost touching the light, which I can't raise any higher.

Would trimming them inhibit their growth or otherwise harm them? If so, I'll have to figure out something else...

Also, at what point can they be transplanted, both in terms of their age and the temperature outside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: onion seedlings: trimming height and transplanting Qs

You can trim them at any time and even multiple times before transplanting. The trimming is done to strengthen the stems and roots by forcing the growth of a new layer on the bulb which then becomes the next new green top. ;) The more frequently you trim the more the layers develop. I do all mine weekly at least to 3".

Planting - they want 50 degree soil temps - that is usually about the temp shortly after the ground can first be worked in the spring. They will tolerate light frosts with no problem.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave. Can they be too young or thin to transplant even if the outdoor conditions are OK? They're only about 3 weeks old. I'm wondering if it's more advantageous to leave them indoors under lights or transplant them ASAP.

o

This thread is of interest to me, as well. I'm going to throw in another variable...the container! Can onions do well in containers? I currently have two varieties: Red Robin and Yellow Granex Sweet. What size and depth of containers would be best suited for these? Thank you in advance!

Melanie

o

digdirt,
Thanks for the info. I definitely pushed the season this year and my onions are huge! And I can't plant for at least 3 weeks.

o

You could keep your onion inside a week or two longer and feed with dilute fish emulsion (or whatever fertilizer you use) to get them bigger before planting out.

o

Can onions do well in containers? Sure. Many grow them in Earthboxes but most any container should do. Shallow ones like window boxes would be best I think as they are shallow planted so why waste all the soil in a deep container? ;)

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here