Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on lupine seedlings

Posted by veryzer 5a IL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 21:15

Let me preface this by saying I'm a complete novice enjoying his first attempt at growing from seed.

I bought Tutti Frutti lupine (Burpee from Lowes) and did a nick and soak. They began germinating by day two, after which I put them under the metal halide with tomato seedlings. The tomato seedlings look great but the lupine haven't done much. The ones that have germinated are still curled and hugging the soil line for the most part. Is this normal or the sign of a problem?

Some possibly relevant info:

I've let the cells dry (beneath the surface) before watering.

The lamp is 24" above the seedlings with a temp. of ~72 on the flat and ~60 at night (8 hrs.).

A fan is blowing on them for the daylight period.

I might not have planted the seed deeply enough. I buried the seed root end down and covered with 1/8-1/4" of mix.

Input is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on lupine seedlings

How deep, and what kind, is your soil mix? Lupins have a tap root, and may not like a shallow container. They also like consistently moist soil, and they don't like wind. Maybe shield them from the fan?

Sue

o

I'm using promix seed starter and the cells are 2.5" deep, though the mix doesn't come all the way to the top. I don't think they're developed enough for the taproot to be an issue, but if they like consistently moist soil, that would definitely be an issue.

o

Lupines like cool weather. Is there any way you could get them ~50 degrees? I bet they would take off for you. Mine do well in any soil, but I would get them into a larger pot to keep their roots cooler while they are waiting to be transplanted in the Spring, but don't plant them deeper then what you started them at, they can not handle it.

I hope that hepls

Keriann

I am glad you enjoy the process as well! It is half the fun : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here