Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat mat

Posted by lovegardening84 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 21:19

Can I put plastic drink cup directly on heat mat for germination? Would the heat be sufficient with a 16 oz cup or is that too large?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat mat

Yes you can unless you have the mat on a thermostat and it is set really really high. Normal heat range is fine. 16 oz cups full of soil are too big/deep for germination and retain far too much moisture for most seeds and young seedlings to tolerate. If you must use it then you only put a couple of inches of soil in it. Then you can add more soil as the plant grows.

Seeds only need a couple of inches to germinate and you get much more effective heating using shallow containers.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave, thats what i figured. What do you start ur seeds in?

o

You could use a recycled food container such as margarine,cream cheese,cottage cheese,dips,etc.I germinate my main tomato crop in a Coolwhip container.It is large enough to space seeds with a damp toothpick & can sustain them until I get around to transplanting into 8oz cups.
rose

o

I use commercial grower's plug trays and six packs since I grow hundreds for sales but the home gardener can use most any thing plastic including all those things rose listed as well as Dixie cups that come in all sorts of sizes, the trays from the salad bar, cut down milk jugs and pop bottles, etc.

Look at the pics in the FAQ here on containers to use.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here