Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
verbena seed

Posted by anna_lisa Quebec (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 21:22

Hi I'am going to start verbena from seed how long will it take to germinate and what the best way to get it hardy. I have grow lights. I hate these plants that are thin and fall over. I have to learn how to get these plant hardy like you see in the nurery.Is there a way to do this Anna lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: verbena seed

The verbena seed that I have said that it normally takes 21-30 days to germinate at 59-68 degrees F (15-20C). The ones that I started two weeks ago are coming up now (my germinator is at 72 degrees).

The best way to make them stout and hardy is to ensure they have adequate light and to provide some air and physical stimulation. For the light (assuming they're florescents), let the light be as close as possible to the seedlings. A small fan blowing over the seedings will help encourage them to grow stouter stems. To make some of my plants even stouter, I gently brush the tops of them once or twice a day with my hand, getting less gentle as they become tougher.

Gradually acclimitize them to the sun and temperature extremes at least a week before you plan to transplant. The light of the sun is far stronger than florescents, so don't immediately expose them to direct sunlight. It would be like taking a pasty white computer geek directly to Bermuda to sun tan. It will burn or even kill the plants. Let them gradually get used to indirect/filtered sunlight through limited exposures before taking a full blast of noonday sun...

o
RE: verbena seed

hello;I grow V.tenuisecta indoors. Be careful of saturated media during the germination stage as the seed is susceptable to rot.(my opinion)> Try to find the right environment where you don't need to water for roughly 2 weeks after sowing (I drape plastic wrap over containers.... Requirements are dark during this period;seeds lightly covered; ambient temperatures (~65F)-(70F).Hold off on transplanting until 4 true leaves develop. From there I transplant 4-5 seedlings/2.5inch SVD plastic pot; grow on outdoors as is suggested by the poster above;give them a hard pinch at a later stage-dependent on rate of growth (cutting off 1/2 the growth)grow on and begin spacing in a nursery flat as the crop develops... By using a complete fertilizer lower in phospherous, you should be able to read N and feed appropriately...(hopefully there is ~60%N in nitrate form)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here