Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alan8_gw

getting started-advice

alan8
15 years ago

I read the FAQ and I'm trying to find the right seed starting soil/medium? The soil-less type of material sounds like the best bet. Can that product be found at any of the box stores like Lowes, Home Depot or Walmert? Can you recommend what brand to buy? Or is there something else just as good to plant seed in that can be found easily? Also, what can I buy and mix to make something suitable myself?

Comments (8)

• amna
    15 years ago

I've used the seed starting mix from Scotts and Miracle gro - both worked really well. I also like the peat pellets (Novosel) which are very convenient except I normally rip the netting off after rehydration before I sow the seed/s. That way you don't have to worry about the roots getting caught up in it. Hope this helps

• gracecar
    15 years ago

Mixing your own is actually more trouble than it's really worth, especially if you are just getting started, so I would definitely say buying some bags at Lowes is your best bet. I have tried everything from Miracle Gro down to the cheapest off-brand topsoil mix to straight compost, and I have not seen a noticeable difference between any of them... I would go the cheapest, easiest route on this one!

• Karen Pease
    15 years ago

Oh, I love mixing my own. You can customize it to your particular needs, and it's not hard at all. I mix any ratios of:

* Composted manure (moderate water retention, pH buffering, mineral retention)
    * Peat (slightly acidic, light and fluffy, pretty airy)
    * Sand (moderate water retention, pretty dense)
    * Vermiculite (tops in water retention)
    * Perlite (tops in aeration and making a light growing medium)

Mix in any slow-release fertilizer in the ratio indicated on the package, or adjust it depending on the particular needs of your plants. Just remember your plants needs: the roots need water, air, and various nutrients; you can't skip out on any of those three. One general rule that I've found is the smaller the pot, the more vermiculite you want, as small pots generally dry up faster. Also, I like a layer of perlite or peat on the top of my pots so that the surface is more sterile.

As an aside: Some people also use coir (coconut fiber), although they don't sell it where I live, so I don't use it. It's basically like peat, but is pH neutral and nutrient-devoid. It's a bit more eco-friendly, too; peat is a renewable resource, but we don't currently harvest it in a sustainable fashion. On the other hand, that's mostly due to peat harvesting for use as fuel, which consumes far more peat than for use in gardens.

As a second aside: some plants *like* clay soils, but you don't generally want to start seeds in clay; it's not a good starting medium. For those kind of plants, I prefer a mix of sand and peat. Similar acidity, moderate density, good water retention and aeration, and low carbon like they're used to.

• eric30
    15 years ago

I did a 50-50 mix of sphagnum peat moss and vermicompost that I already had laying around and it seems to be working fine for me.

• wingward
    15 years ago

I use the sunshine mix #1 which comes in a 3 cubic bail, you can get at most reputable nurseries, I sift it through an 1/8" screen, it makes about 5 times the amount once you sift it, the bails are very compressed. I grow cut flowers commercially & 2 bails which cost $17 a peice here, is enough for all my seeds. I have a 50'X 20' greenhouse & it is filled from end to end with flats. Once the seeds emerge I use a diluted fish emulsion to fertilize. Been doing this for 4 years now with great sucsess & for not much $.

• new2all
    15 years ago

I searched the forum (in a hurry of course :-D) and did not see the following link; I will post it and hope it offers help for beginners like myself! Check it out . . .
    http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/

• jessicavanderhoff
    15 years ago

I vote for jiffy pellets, just remember to take the netting off when you plant the pellets.

• hatchjon
    15 years ago

Pro-mix works great. The Sunshine Mix that wingward recommended is similar to Pro-Mix. I use Neptune Fish fertilizer to feed my seedlings.

Jon