Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Citrus, scarification.

Posted by Drakemoore 8 - FL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 21:38

I've been germinating citrus family seeds lately, Oranges, Grapefruit, Kumquats, etc. I usually pull them out of the orange, then peel off the outer seed shell.

I've learned / also been told by others that this causes the seeds to germinate within 1-2 weeks in ideal temperature / conditions versus a much longer period of time otherwise as long as the seed is kept moist.

I am wondering if you only need to pull off enough of the outer shell to expose the kernel itself to allow moisture in. I ask because it becomes tedious to peel the entire outer shell off of larger amounts of seed.

And yes, I know, seeds will not be true to type. I don't mind that, I have a large amount of land. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Citrus, scarification.

You might want to try the citrus forum for help with your question.

o

Citrus seed doesn't need to be scarified in order to germinate.

o

I have very little first-hand knowledge with citrus seeds, and the ones I have grown were not scarified, BUT lots of sources say that doing so improves germination rate. Drakemoore, if you find a good answer (and especially if you find a good explanation of why), please come back and tell us here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here