Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paper pot seedlings

Posted by apr522 none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 21:43

This is my first year attempting to start my garden from seed. Last year I had one raised garden bed and some pots that I did the basics in (herbs, tomatoes & peppers) and it was wonderful!
This year I wanted to get my kids involved in the process and thought I would attempt starting from seed. We live in MO and this past Saturday we started planting some of our seeds. My 6 year old (along with the help of my mom) mastered making paper pots and so we decided to start some of the seeds in these. Yesterday (day 3) all of my kale sprouted and today (day 4) I have my basil has sprouted. I took them out of the "greenhouse" set up I had and moved them to my south facing front window. I am also supplementing with a 5-bulb adjustable lamp with grow bulbs to equal about 10-12 hours of light per day.
However, now that they are out of the moist germination stage/environment, I am noticing the paper pots are drying up & I'm not sure how to water them without damaging my new plants. Yesterday I misted the bottoms & around the paper pots but I would like to get some advice before I start down the wrong path & risk over-watering.
Thank you for any help in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paper pot seedlings

I have used paper pots and found it easier to water if they are in a cake pan or similar. Crowd them to help keep their shape, then just pour some water in at a corner and tilt until it wets the bottom of all the pots. They DO dry out badly, as bad as peat pots, which is why I don't use either any more.

o

Thank you! I do have them in cake pans separated by variety. Yes, these paper pots seem to really dry out. Any advice on how to keep them moist?
I read a few posts of people who didn't like how their plants were doing in paper pots and so they decided to move them to plastic yogurt cups & such. If necessary, when can I do this? May I ask what you now use? I only started part of my seeds and would like to avoid the same mistake with the second half.
Thank you!

o

I have made and used paper pots many times. I always use a plastic flat as a container, which must be filled completely so the pots support each other. To water I set the flat in a sink with a couple of inches water and let the water wick up into the pots. Al

o

Wonderful news Al! Thanks for the positive feedback on paper pots. Many people seem to be posting that they are more difficult and result in yellowing but I don't actually think it is the pot that is the problem, sounds like overwatering to me.
So I am going to try the bottom watering method from here on. My tomatoes all sprouted today (day 5 of germination seemed quick to me) so I am very excited and hoping that this next stage goes as well as the germination stage seemed to for my little seedlings.

o

I have great success with paper pots and use the crowded in container, bottom watering system ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting Seeds Indoors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here