Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cetompkins

Thinning question

cetompkins
13 years ago

Well I may have an issue with seedlings sown to close together, I had inadvertantly placed my seeds too close together in my 4in. pots.

My question is is it too soon to seperate them? The first true leaves are starting to form should I wait or do it now before the roots become entangled.

Second row left is what I am talking about, I have a few that look like this, they are all tomato if it matters.
{{gwi:230749}}From 2011-03-01

Comments (4)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Hi!

A lot of us sow seeds like this and then seperate them. Tomatoes also should be buried deep (all the way up to their leaves) when transplanted so it works out well. I would wait until your maters have 2-3 true leaves and then transplant them. I wait this long so I can hold onto true leaves and not the fragile stem. I get the soil really wet when transplanting and it seems to help minimize the transplant shock into new moist soil.

Looking good! What else are you growing? You are going to have pretty big plants by the time you can set them out. Yumm!!

Keriann~

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Your pots are not too crowded, I would wait until another set of leaves forms. I like my soil on the dry side when separating the roots of seedlings. I like to be able to plop the rooted ball down on the bench so it breaks up, then grasping only leaves separate the roots and plant individually into four inch pots. Once potted I set the pot in a about 2 to 3 inches of tepid water to hydrate the new soil. Al

• cetompkins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Keriann and Al, I will wait for a few more leaves to form and will try wet and dry methods and see which works best for me, I usually put two seeds in a pot and clip off the weakest one but thought I would toss more in and seperate them but got them alittle too close to each other.

Keriann, I started them a little early this year because they always seem small when it comes time to plant out and I was trying for a bigger sturdier plant this year.

Here is my list and maybe more before it's all said and done

Tomatoes:
    Brandywine Pink
    Brandywine Yellow
    Cherokee Purple
    Sungold

Peppers:
    Jalepeno
    Anahiem
    Serrano
    Pasilla Bajio
    Mulato Isleno
    Poblano
    Thai
    Big Jim
    Yellow, Red, and Orange Bell
    Guajillo
    Aji Dulce

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Very cool! You have a lot of great plants!

I use Al's way as well for other plants. I like the wet method for maters though, but you have the best approach, try both ways and see what works for you!

Keep us posted on their progress : )

Keriann~