Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about fan usage.

Posted by cetompkins 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 21:48

How many hours do you run your fans on your seedlings?
I have been running the fan (on oscillation)for about three hours in the a.m. and 3 hours in the p.m. with the lights on from 6a.m. to 9 p.m.
Does anyone think I should change this cycle, all the plants seem to be doing very well but I am looking for seasoned growers input, thanks for any ideas.

Christopher.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about fan usage.

I'd be curious to know, too. I just put a non-oscillating fan on my tomato seedlings, a small one set on low. The easiest thing for me was to connect it to the same timer that runs the lights, so when the lights go on, so does the fan. That's about 15 hours a day.

Like Christopher, I'd love to know what the seasoned growers do.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o

I did the same thing as loribee2.

The FAQ says to use a fan, but it doesn't specify how long it should be on.

I've love to know what seasoned growers do, too.

Thanks!

o

I dont think there is a right or wrong answer on this one. If your seedlings are really leggy or really wet, I would run it 15 or so hours when your lights are on, but if your seedlings look stocky and are watered correctly 3-6 hours should be good. I do move my fan, but I run it all the time, it is just easier that way. In nature the wind does not blow all the time, but a gentle 16 hour breeze is no harm. I also do a stronger breeze starting about 2 weeks before I start to harden them off, so they are ready for nature.

So all in all, no real answer :)

Keriann~

o

Muffin fans used in electronics are available from electronic salvage companies for about $3. They are rejected because they are too noisy or some other reason, but work fine in the greenhouse. I hang them from the roof on wires and run them 24/7, as their wattage is so low to be negligible. As far as I can tell they run forever. Al

o

Thanks Keriann and Al I will contine with my current schedule since it seems to be working.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here