Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gypsysunrise

What can be planted now (March) in zone 6?

gypsysunrise
15 years ago

Hello! =)

I'd like to get started, and i'm not sure which seed can be planted right now (March) in zone 6? Flower, vegetable, other?

Comments (10)

• macheske
    15 years ago

Gypsy,
    You might want to check out this link from the VA Extension service. The dates for veggies are in it.
    Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Guide

• clumsygrdner
    15 years ago

I plant peas, spinach, onion and shallot sets in March.

• gettingreenthumb
    15 years ago

spinach, peas, onions and broccoli in march over in MD. The farm association has starting dated for MD, which is almost no different in climate. Check your dept of aggriculture or your local farm association.

• gypsysunrise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of your responses, and for the link. =) It snowed today, so i'm almost afraid to plant anything. lol

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

I live in zone 6, TN. I started 3 kinds of tomatoes, 2 kinds of peppers, some onions & some chives. The chives are outside, everything else is inside, to be moved outside in late April/early May...are you able to start some seeds indoors?

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

You can still do some Winter sowing. Annual Poppies, Nigella, Dill, Kale, Mustard, Spinach (and many others) adore cold temps and need a good freeze then germinate once it warms up. Sow them right in the beds for best results "in situ".

• lilion
    15 years ago

Today I planted peas and carrots from seed, onion sets, and broccoli and cauliflower (plants). I plan on potatoes tomorrow and spinach in the next few days! (I'm in a zone 6 microclimate in the center of a zone 5 area.)

• gypsysunrise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

TN_Veggie_Gardener - Yes, I will try to start some seed indoor, probably tomato. But, unfortunately, I have *very* little room to start indoors. It will be my first time starting seed indoor, hope I get it right. Thanks for your reply! =)

• angeliii1962_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

You should have started indoor tomatoes in Feb for zone 6, I would wait and buy plants late April ,early May. Peas, including ornamental sweet peas now. Dill now, any flowering seeds that need stratification now(cleome, morning glories, etc). Onion sets, carrots, radishes now and potatoes anytime soon. Good luck...suggestion:buy a gardening book, or check one out at your local library for zone 6. I research like crazy,,then experiment. I live in zone 6, but sometimes can get away with zone 5 plants.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I think nothing. The soil still wet for the teller to work out. Unless may be you have raised beds small enough to works with shovel.