Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can be planted now (March) in zone 6?

Posted by gypsysunrise Z6 VA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 21:54

Hello! =)

I'd like to get started, and i'm not sure which seed can be planted right now (March) in zone 6? Flower, vegetable, other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can be planted now (March) in zone 6?

Gypsy,
You might want to check out this link from the VA Extension service. The dates for veggies are in it.
Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Guide

o

I plant peas, spinach, onion and shallot sets in March.

o

spinach, peas, onions and broccoli in march over in MD. The farm association has starting dated for MD, which is almost no different in climate. Check your dept of aggriculture or your local farm association.

o

Thanks for all of your responses, and for the link. =) It snowed today, so i'm almost afraid to plant anything. lol

o

I live in zone 6, TN. I started 3 kinds of tomatoes, 2 kinds of peppers, some onions & some chives. The chives are outside, everything else is inside, to be moved outside in late April/early May...are you able to start some seeds indoors?

o

You can still do some Winter sowing. Annual Poppies, Nigella, Dill, Kale, Mustard, Spinach (and many others) adore cold temps and need a good freeze then germinate once it warms up. Sow them right in the beds for best results "in situ".

o

• Posted by alys Zone 5/6 - MO (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 23:03

Today I planted peas and carrots from seed, onion sets, and broccoli and cauliflower (plants). I plan on potatoes tomorrow and spinach in the next few days! (I'm in a zone 6 microclimate in the center of a zone 5 area.)

o

TN_Veggie_Gardener - Yes, I will try to start some seed indoor, probably tomato. But, unfortunately, I have *very* little room to start indoors. It will be my first time starting seed indoor, hope I get it right. Thanks for your reply! =)

o

You should have started indoor tomatoes in Feb for zone 6, I would wait and buy plants late April ,early May. Peas, including ornamental sweet peas now. Dill now, any flowering seeds that need stratification now(cleome, morning glories, etc). Onion sets, carrots, radishes now and potatoes anytime soon. Good luck...suggestion:buy a gardening book, or check one out at your local library for zone 6. I research like crazy,,then experiment. I live in zone 6, but sometimes can get away with zone 5 plants.

o

I think nothing. The soil still wet for the teller to work out. Unless may be you have raised beds small enough to works with shovel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here